Highly respected Dutch/Chilean house producer, Ramon Tapia, will select and mix the sixth instalment of the acclaimed, ‘Strictly Rhythms’ compilation series, following such luminaries as Charles Webster and Radio Slave. Featuring a selection of tracks from the legendary Strictly Rhythm back catalogue, the mix will also include a number of exclusive edits and remixes from Tapia himself.
Strictly Rhythm head of A & R, Seamus Haji had little doubt that Ramon would make his mark on this compilation series, “Ramon had one of the biggest selling singles on Strictly this year with ‘This Groove’ so the first thing I did as the new A&R was approach him for a follow up. He sent me the hot new ‘Year 3000’ EP and also a remix he’d done for Sir James’s ‘Special’. He told me about some other ideas he had to re-edit & remix some old classics on the label too. I could see he had a vision! He’s done a firing mix for us and all the edits, re-edits and remixes he’s done have brought the tracks up to date without losing the magic of the originals. Ramon is a real talent!”
For any self-respecting DJ / producer, mixing the latest in the Strictly Rhythms series is a coveted role, but also one that comes with a certain amount of pressure. Strictly Rhythm is a name synonymous with the best in timeless house music and the responsibility of delving into the back catalogue and delivering a mix worthy of the name is a big one. However, Ramon relished the opportunity, “First of all I was stunned that the Strictly guys asked me to do the compilation. I had the idea to use some of my all time favourites from Strictly Rhythm, like the never ending vibe of the Endangered Species ‘Ping Pong’, Kenny Dope as The Untouchables, Kings of Tomorrow with their acid-vibed ‘Czar’, Photon Inc ‘Give A Little Love’ – tracks which have been burned in my head for years. However, there was so much more to use on this compilation so it was a huge pleasure to go through the Strictly Rhythm Catalogue to see which other gems I could use for remixing and editing myself, and of course, with the help of my production friends Anton Pietee, Dave Brody, Kabale Und Liebe, Marco Resmann and Sergio Munoz aka Delete. All in all, this album was a huge pleasure and honour to mix and compile.”
Ramon’s blend of chunky, deep house provides just the sort of quality that will appeal to traditional house heads, but which also delivers a new jazzy, funked up groove aimed squarely at the dancefloor. This mix takes a bow to Strictly past but looks ahead to the future.
Strictly Rhythms Vol.6 mixed by Ramon Tapia is out on 7th December on Strictly Rhythm.
1) Endangered Species “Ping Pong” (Future Jazz Mix)
2) The Untouchables “Dance To The Rhythm”
3) Full Swing “Choices” (Ramon Tapia & Marco Resmann Edit)
4) DJ Sneak “Dancin” (Ramon Tapia and Delete Refix)
5) Ultra Nate “Free” (Ramon Tapia & Kabale und Liebe Remix)
6) Mood II Swing Ft Tara “Passing Time” (Ramon Tapia Smooth Edit)
7) Ramon Tapia “Yeah Yeah”
8) Rhythm Masters “Spanish Ritual” (Ramon Tapia & Dave Brody Revamp)
9) Total Capacity “Celebrate” (Ramon Tapia ‘Get Loose’ Edit)
10) Ramon Tapia “Year 3000”
11) Photon Inc “Give A little Love” (Photon’s Disco House Mix – Ramon Tapia Rerub)
12) Sir James “Special” (Ramon Tapia Remix)
13) Kings Of Tomorrow “Czar“
14) Ramon Tapia “This Groove”
15) Ramon Tapia “It’s That Dub Thing”
16) Armand van Helden “Witch Doktor” (Ramon Tapia & Anton Pieete Remix)